Wednesday, October 13, 2021

What a whirlwind

What an understatement. The beginning of 2021 marked off to a rough start with my sister coming off from the most significant mental health episode that landed her into the hospital for nearly 2 weeks in the midst of a ravaging pandemic. The capitol insurrection in the beginning of January didn't help and when I thought things got better, I started to be severely impacted by the news of the hate against Asian Americans. 

I got a glimpse of hope as I started to venture out into the field in person to see customers after being cooped up at home for a given amount of time. I decided to finally apply for the online MPH and give a shot at applying for the Evening Weekend MBA program at Haas. 

Since the beginning of the year, my dad started having mouth issues where he experienced pain in his left side. I guess I never really thought too much of it and imagined it was just a cost issue of not having it get fixed. 

Until I found out that his cancer returned.  I found this out in early May right after my work trip to Monterey. 

My world was turned upside down. As if the pandemic, staying at home for more than a year and living in the fear of a deadly virus in the midst of social unjustice wasn't enough, my father's cancer has returned after 18 years. 

I was angry and frustrated. Frustrated at my parents for not raising urgency. Frustrated at the dentist's negligence for pulling out his left molar without realizing that it could impact his pain. Frustrated at myself for not realizing that my dad's pain was much more serious than I had thought. 
It was painful. 

These past few weeks has been spent with making trips back up to the city to be available for support for my parents. My sister's mental health teeters between mania in the midst of what's been happening. I had to re-evaluate my priorities with work and get ffrustrated at the inability to move forward in my career and life. 

And then I find out I received an acceptance to the Berkeley Evening Weekend MBA program. What a trip. 
I still can't believe I got in. I am so honored and excited to finally go back to my alma mater. 
But I'm cautious on my bandwidth. I want to give 100% into this program but I am wary on how much I can commit given so many competing priorities with family, work and my own personal wellbeing. 

Can I do it? Can I manage with the classes ontop of work and family? 

No comments:

Post a Comment