Thursday, June 25, 2015

How can mere words possibly express the feelings I have about this?
After going to so many music festivals, you always hear about that one 'incident' that happens to an unfortunate soul and you usually pass it off, thinking to yourself, 'Oh if that person had just been more careful..' or 'what was that person thinking?'. When I first read that article on Sunday afternoon coming back home from EDC at the airport, I wondered who it was. Little did I know that it was you. It was really you.

So many thoughts keep cycling through my head. I wish I had known you went. If I had known, I wish we had made plans to see each other. If we had, in the midst of terrible cellular reception, I wish we would've actually met. I wish I could have seen your smile and warmth under the electric sky and had shared those final moments of happiness with you. Maybe things wouldn't have happened the way it did..I don't know. It's so easy to think back to what could've happened. It's hard to accept it.

You were truly, deeply one of the sweetest people I had ever met in my entire life. While we went to the same high school and worked together as captains for our respective collegiate dragonboat team, we didn't get to know each other until actually paddling together on DW. My most distinct DB memory of you was paddling behind you for the 2000 meter Guts and Glory Regatta race in 2014. With each stroke and powerful call, you were so passionate and helped drive everyone to do their best. I loved paddling around you because you were so motivating and inspirational. I remember how you came over to my apartment after that race. We started to talk about our lives, career aspirations in healthcare and how you were so excited to start your new position at UCSF. It breaks my heart to think about what could have happened.

I wish we had more pictures together.

Thank you for all the laughter, singing and goofy moments. Thank you for all the times you had taken care of me on those late night outings. Thank you for always being open and accepting of everything and everyone that you had met. Thank you for making such a positive impact on the Dragonboat community- whether it was for GCD, UCI, Cal or DW. You were truly a shining beacon of light. Your warm smiles and hearty laughs completely filled up the room. There were so. so. many things we were supposed to do together and now, I guess it'll just have to wait for a bit longer.

Keep smiling. Keep dancing. Keep paddling. Keep doing you up there. I'll miss you so much.


No comments:

Post a Comment